Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Difficult English

TRY TO SAY THESE . . .

QUICKLY and CORRECTLY

1. The bandage was wound around the wound.

2. The farm was used to produce produce.

3. The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4. We must polish the Polish furniture.

5. He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

7. Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to      present the present.

8. A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.



10. I did not object to the object.

11. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12. There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

13. They were too close to the door to close it.

14. The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15. A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18. After a number of injections my jaw got number.

19. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.





10 comments:

  1. I knew there was a name for this, but I had to look it up — they are heteronyms.
    Not to worry, I shall forget that promptly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was a little nervous to say quickly and correctly but I did it somehow and right now I am damn proud of myself. Today wasn't the best day for me but you brought a smile on my face and made my evening very nice. Thank you!
    Stay safe and healthy and take good care of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to read number 6 twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good old English language! Your examples show how difficut it can be. I too thought #6 was a good one! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. English as my second language, all are difficult for me....like talking "in the wind"....hehehe....lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing the English language, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A million THANKS to you, one and ALL, for coming over here to read my post. I truly appreciate that! Your support and your participation means a lot to me. Thank you!

    Wishing You a Wonderful and Safe Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several of these (produce, refuse, desert, present, object) actually represent a common pattern in English, in which the verb is stressed on the second syllable but the noun is stressed on the first (see also record/record, insert/insert, etc.). So there is an underlying rule. I don't know if anyone knows the origin of it.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!