Monday, October 19, 2020

Forward or Backwards

 Backwards or Forward


 My love of words takes me on journeys you wouldn’t believe. I am forever diddling around with words in some form or another. My latest adventure landed me smack-dab in the middle of “word-hog-heaven”.

 As I played around with words, I realized one word spelled the same forward and backwards. Uh-ooo, that sent me searching. Here is what I found.  That word was called a palindrome.

 What is a palindrome?

 A palindrome is a word or phrase that reads the same whether you spell it forwards or backward: "kayak," "madam," "racecar," and "refer" are some examples. MORE palindrome examples

 Source

Single Word Palindromes

Forward

Backwards

Anna

anna

Civic

civic

Kayak

kayak

Madam

Madam

Mom

Mom

           Anna, Civic, Kayak, Madam, Mom

 Level

Noon

Racecar

Radar

Redder

Refer

Repaper

Rotator

Rotor

Sagas

Solos

Stats

Tenet

Wow

Multiple Word Palindromes

Forward

Backwards

Step on no pets

step on no pets

Don't nod

I did, did I?

My gym

Red rum, sir, is murder

Top spot

Was it a cat I saw?

Eva, can I see bees in a cave?

No lemon, no melon


Okay, enough already! Have you ever crossed paths with any palindromes? Did you give it a second thought? What are your thoughts about this, my latest discovery?

 

Source 

11 comments:

  1. Here's two jokes from my May 9th Saturday jokes.
    My nerdy friend got a Ph.D. in the History of Palindromes. He’s now Dr. Awkward.

    I j‌‌ust d‌‌iscovered t‌‌hat t‌‌he w‌‌ord "‌‌nothing" i‌‌s a‌‌ p‌‌alindrome.
    Backwards i‌‌t s‌‌pells "‌‌gnihton", w‌‌hich a‌‌lso m‌‌eans n‌‌othing.

    You commented on the post. I think the word palindrome has been stuck in your head ever since then.

    And why isn't the word palindrome a palindrome? Emordnilap means nothing also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I have learned a lot. Thank you.


    sheer drapes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I introduced palindromes to granddaughter at a young age. It must have given her K or Gr1 teacher a start when Danica suggested that they should study palindromes in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, and interesting.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a coincidence! I was just working with my little Granddaughter on this type of words! The English language is amazing!! Hope all is well with yuou and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating post, especially for people like me for whom English is not their first language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so fun, and yes, I've come across a few in my lifetime. Words definitely make the world go 'round! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post! I hope you enjoy a beautiful and relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!