Saturday, October 24, 2020

Caregiving Sucks

 My “Survive Caregiver Burnout” . . . 

?Guide?

PRAY! Thank God for HIS many Blessings. Ask for HIS guidance on this care giving journey.

Go places . . . in my head or even online . . . that I would love to visit. Day dream for a few minutes, then come back to reality.

Leave the house (if possible) for at least 15 minutes EVERY DAY. If you can, stay away longer. JUST DO IT!

Set aside time to “do nothing”. This is time just for me.

Go for a walk, even in the rain, even if it’s simply around your cul-de-sac, just to get out of the house for a few minutes. It’s always refreshing just getting out of the house.

Sit on the front porch, on the patio, on the deck, or in the back yard…ALONE. Prop up on the bed in my room with the door closed. Sit in the back storage room, Mom’s not allowed in there.

Go sit quietly at the park. Or walk around the park. It’s refreshing just to be outside.


Read Inspirational Quotes, Poetry, Stories.

Listen to some favorite good-mood music.

PRAY! Be thankful for blessings large and small. 

Drive to the nearest Sonic Drive-in. Park under the canopy and place an order. Order a slush, a coke float, a hamburger, anything. Let someone “wait on you” for a change.  Merely being out of the house is invigorating.  

Stay in touch with friends and family. Try not to stay isolated too long. Contact someone every couple of weeks, or at least once a month. Just say hi and chat for a short while.

Do Mindfulness exercises like yoga, meditation and journaling, they can be soothing.

Online Puzzles, Games, and applications are good for emotional health.

Visit AgingCare.com online – Interact with others. It is great for interacting with people who are very supportive.

PRAY!   

13 comments:

  1. There are always care partner groups associated with whatever problem you are dealing with. My wife has Parkinson's. There are Parkinson care partner support groups. I'm sure AARP has support groups. It shouldn't be hard to find even more support help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leona. We are trying to stay connected with family and friends. I'm so grateful for texting. I feel like I'm talking to everybody. AND... it's great to be able to visit everybody through their blogs. Stay safe please in mind, body and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful, practical, simple, yet powerful tips Leona. We definitely need to make sure to take care of ourselves in order to be able to help ourselves and others. Stay safe and blessed my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://thecaregiverspace.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for sharing these good tips and advice.
    I will also share what Kay said above, please stay safe in mind, body and spirit.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. useful tips...inspiring.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this great post! Sooner or later we become a caregiver or the person that needs a caregiver. One thing I have learned is don't try and do everything by yourself - don't be afraid to ask for help. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good suggestions even if it's only us or our family we are caring for...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a good and needed post. Caregiver burnout is real and we must take steps to nurture and restore ourselves so that we can be there to help care for others. Have a richly blessed and beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an important and positive post. I wish all caregivers could see this, and I thank you so much! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popping in to say hello and Happy Weekend! RO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so thankful that my parents, father who is ninety and mother nearly there, are in very good health. Probably healthier than I am.

    I'm not sure if you tried to put a comment on my latest blog but I thought I saw one under 'comments awaiting moderation'. I approved it and I don't see it on my blog now.

    It made me recall that you were upset at the changes they've made with Blogspot. Definitely count me there as well. Arghhhhh!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!