Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Truth About Rotten Eggs

   
    
Disclaimer: If you have a sensitive stomach, find mold gross, have a distaste for 'the ugly truth'. You might want to click away...NOW!!! 

Growing up po’ in the tall piney woods of deep East Texas, we had no idea how dangerously we were actually living. Got some moldy cheese? No problem, we cut the mold off and ate the rest.


Can I Get Mold Spores Bites? What To Know About Mold Mites | ABC Blog

Bologna, bread, and sausage were saved and eaten no matter how long they had been around.  Just cut the bad part off and eat away. Grown-ups taught us how to do that ‘cut away the bad moldy parts and to eat what’s left’ thing.

There’s an old saying, “God takes care of babies and fools”.  Our parents obviously weren’t babies so evidently they fell into the latter category. God most definitely, ‘had our backs’.
We have all come a long way since way back then, and we throw away moldy stuff now. We check expiration dates and abide by them with our food.

A few months ago I mixed some newly purchased eggs with several that had been in the fridge for two weeks. I knew the eggs had not been there long enough to go bad but, ‘someone’ wanted to throw them out.

Not wanting to throw away good food, I convinced ‘someone’ that I could prove the eggs were good. I told them of a tip I had learned years ago from my God-mother.
Whenever she wanted to determine whether an egg was fresh, she would dip it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sank to the bottom, it was still fresh. If it floated or remained on the surface of the water, she knew it was no good.


“Throw it away”!


Testing Eggs for Freshness and Safety



What are your thoughts? How long do you keep your eggs?

7 comments:

  1. We don't use a lot of eggs, so a dozen lasts a long time. I've never had them go bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my eggs for a long time. I figure if I crack it and it looks weird I will know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how long we keep them, but we have had to throw very few out. I think we are eating eggs a little more these days during the pandemic.

    As for expiry days, most of them are "best before" and that's usually a guess. This is what I have been told. But I do pay attention to the dates anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Kathy. They last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great test - I'll remember that one! I remember cutting the mold off the cheese as well. We go through a lot of eggs one way or the other so they are pretty fresh. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings

    some may say fools, reality says, tight budget and food scarcity. I am guilty of cutting away the mold off the cheese. Eggs dont last that long in my house to go old. To begin with I check the expiration dates on the eggs before purchasing.

    Hope all is well with you family.
    Happy Friday and a fabulous weekend. to you.
    rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up also when we cut the mold of cheese and ate the good part. My grandmother told us that it's OK to do it. I keep eggs for as long as they last in refrigerator. I think they can last long time but I am not sure. Your parents are like mine they had not an easy life and they did what they believed the best.
    I send you all my very best wishes!
    Stay safe and healthy and take good care of each other.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!