Thursday, February 13, 2020

224 Words About…

How I Got to Be MiMi


 I informed my brother I was going to be a grandma, for the first time. He asked me what name the grandbaby would call me. I hadn’t thought much about it at that point. However, I did tell my brother that it didn’t really matter what the baby called me as long as he/she said it lovingly. We had a good little laugh about that.
                                                                                                                     
Later my daughter and I discussed different names for grandmas, trying to decide what I wanted to be called. She and I both had some definite “no-no(s)” concerning names I definitely did NOT want to be called. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing bad about the names. I just did not want to be called those names.


Anyway, we did not reach an agreement on a name for me. It wasn’t until after my grandson was several months old that I realized my daughter had started referring to me as “MiMi”.  When grandson started “talking” himself, he called me MiMi. The name stuck.

There you have it, that’s how I got to be MiMi. By the time Grandson Jace, was 5 years old I was forever and ever…“THE MiMi”.


Now, here we are almost 10 years later (Grandson’s birthday is next month) and we are Forever & Ever . . . “The MiMi & The Jace”!!!

Precious Memories!


9 comments:

  1. Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory calls his grandmother Meemaw. I understood that was a Texas saying. So could Mimi be a variation of Meemaw? My granddaughter used to call me Gobi when she was very little. I kept correcting her until I realized that I rather liked being called Gobi (pronounced “Gaubee.”) So I stopped correcting her. And of course from that point on she called me Grandma. Sigh... I can be called Grandma because her other grandmother is called Harmoni (Korean).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have a preference and just wound up grandpa. I've gotten used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your name! My daughters called my Mom Nanny as that's what I called my Grandmother. When they had daughters naturally they called me Nanny as well. When my Mom came to live with us they came up with the name Big Nanny! When my second daughter was born she started calling her sister MiMi as her name is Margaret and it stuck, so she is now Aunt MiMi! Thanks for Visiting and the lovely comments - Happy Valentine's Day to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MiMi has a lovely ring about it.
    You were right - what really mattered was not the nam, but how the baby said it (lovingly).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't choose names ahead of time, but Amma and Buppa is more or less what Danica said. I love it. Kind of unique. I once knew a guy who got called Gunga, and that moniker stayed with him for life from everyone, and not just kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how fun, we had the same problem when my mom was alive-she was always grandma but then it was my turn to be grandma so we solved the problem by changing my mom's name to NANA and I became the official GRANDMA. It's funny though when your own kids called you grandma. And now my dg-in-law could become a grandma as her dg and my gdg gets married. But I'm not ready to be NANA. My friend Caryn is GG. Guess we'll solve that problem when it comes there's always great grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww....so cute....love the first photo

    # I think that Mimi is good

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Mimi is good.
    I'm Grandma :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!