Friday, March 27, 2020

Family Secrets

Family Secrets 

Do you have any family secrets? A lot of us do. I know I have a few, and I am sure you have one or two family secrets of your own. I am specifically referring to Secret Family Recipes.  

Mama Leona

There is always someone in the family who is a super-great cook. Everyone in the family loves their cooking. They have a special something they make that everyone adores. This dish, meal, or item has come to be a family favorite.

In my family, my grandmother was the first great cook then it was my own Mama. Those women could cook their socks off, and we loved it! We could hardly wait until their food was done so we could dig in and taste the mouth watering deliciousness!

Mama Leona, my grandma, made tea cakes, dumplings, and chicken-noodle soup from scratch that the whole family holds dear even today. She made tea cakes once a month and stored them in airtight tin cans so they would last a while. She made her famous dumplings on holidays and for special occasions.

 
Homemade Chicken-Noodle Soup

Mama Leona’s tea cakes and dumplings were our secret family recipes. Nobody else, in the family or the entire community made tea cakes and dumplings like Mama Leona. They made tea cakes and they made dumplings, but theirs were nowhere as good as Mama Leona’s.

Do you have a family secret? What is your secret family recipe? Who is your favorite family cook? Tell us about your family's favorite cooks and recipes in the comments section. We'd love to hear your story. 


10 comments:

  1. my mom made everything from scratch for decades.. from bread to english pudding- she did it all. I sure miss her cooking. I have no recipes to share however. I think she used Fanny Farmer cookbook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am cooking a lot lately so I must be getting better! Love browsing the internet you can find any recipe there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister and my daughter are the cooks.
    The local grocery store deli cooks for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother had a special lemon chicken recipe that everyone loved. It is fried so Art and I never paid attention. But now... she’s forgotten how to make it and my brother and his family want to know the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there are great cooks in my family, including me. Acceptable cooking, but no one loves doing it if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both sides of the family had some great cooks. My Grandmother was an excellet cook, but I liked her pies the best. When she came to visit she used to cook up a storm. Everything was from scratch. I liked her apple pie the best! My husband's Mom who was Polish loved to cook all the great Polish dishes - pierogies, stuffed cabbage and Polish kolosky. After a lot of practice I'm pretty good at pierogies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some of my mom's recipes and my grandmas her homemade bread was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just my dad's way of cooking a a large piece of beef, starting by boiling it...the rest is a secret! ..and my meatloaf is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing up I can always remember wonderful smells and aroma's coming from the kitchen … my dear Mum used to make some wonderful cakes, which she learned from her mum (my Granny) … it's great to pass down family recipes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!