Monday, September 3, 2018

Daddy’s Legacy

Daddy's Legacy 

 Six feet tall in his stocking feet with an inch or two to spare,
like coffee laced with whipping cream, his skin it was so fair.
Above his lips below his nose his moustache did stand out,
all neatly groomed and trimmed it was without a minute’s doubt.

He was long and lean and lanky, he was handsome as could be.
He always tamed the hats he wore with creases A to Z.
His khakis creased and starched from waist to spit-shined shoes,
all bathed and dressed and smelling good he’s ready for some blues.


Daddy loved and cherished Mama, she was his all and all
He showed her his devotion when he called her “Baby Doll”.
He always tried to snuggle at the end of every day
It did us kids a world of good to see our dad that way.

Daddy loved us kids a lot, we knew that from the start.
The attention he provided us came from deep within his heart.

1975

Six feet tall with mocha skin and wise beyond his years,
he left this world in ’88 I cried a many tears.

I wiped my face I dried my tears my dad’s life was over.
He lived his life he gave his best, And, now he’s with Jehovah.

Now that Daddy’s gone I know the lessons that he left,
everything he taught me makes me be my better self.

His legacy is simple; 
it is awesome with its power,
to live and love to sing and dance 
and to embrace the hour.
~~~~~~~~~~

RIP Daddy: 

Hermise Mason Wilkins ~

July 25, 1918 – September 3, 1988 


 © 2008 By Leona G. Shankle
All rights reserved

6 comments:

  1. what a beautiful tribute to your daddy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. I appreciate the nice comment, so glad you came by to read.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderfully-written and heartfelt tribute to your dad Leona. Stay blessed always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leona, I loved this precious tribute to your daddy and the manner in which you cast it. A loving poem. It tells his story, and who he was with clarity and respect and a daughter's love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. So beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omaheck! I am s glad I stopped by today.... it's been FOREVER. Look at what I wiul have missed. It's so beautiful. I, of course, teared up, and took a slow stroll through the aisles of my own memory, recalling my own father. Thak you SO MUCH! For sharing, and being who you are! Rather obviously, in many ways.... yo
    ur daddy's girl!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!