Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stress Less



Most of us are probably coping with some level of stress and we need to learn how to relieve it. Effective stress-relief techniques focus on relaxing your mind and your body. For starters, we can relieve a lot of stress from our lives by dumping limiting beliefs - - those things you believe about yourself that place limitations on your abilities.

Limiting beliefs can be difficult to change because we often don’t realize they exist but, they can easily be overcome with desire and determination. It is imperative to first identify them and how they have served you in the past so you don’t beat yourself up for having had them.

Limiting beliefs almost always begin with “I can’t because…” Examples include “I can’t find a good job because I never went to college, diets don't work for me, I don't have time to exercise, or my company isn't giving pay raises this year.”

Can you really get beyond your limiting beliefs? Fortunately, yes. It is possible to get rid of these beliefs and replace them with more positive ones but, you first need to identify your limiting beliefs. Then to change limiting beliefs, you will need to break the thoughts that reinforce your belief that you are unable to do something.

Is it possible to relieve stress? Yes. Before we go on, if your level of stress is serious, consult your physician. But, if you think you can take charge of your stress, here are a few things that can help.
- Learn to have a sense of humor
- Try yoga: no legs behind the neck here
- Aroma therapy works wonders
- Exercise for 30 minutes
- Lift weights but don’t go overboard
- Take a walk in the fresh air
- Try dance and creative movement
- Chocolate, eat it in moderation though or open a candy bar and just smell it
- Relaxation & deep breathing exercises provide immediate relief
- Take a six minute vacation
- Communicate: talking with friends, family, a counselor, or a member of the clergy about your feelings is a healthy way to relieve stress
- Set more realistic goals: for yourself and others
- Develop a hobby: fishing, knitting, photography, woodworking, anything. Do something fun with your hands

Find your inner peace - - learn how to relieve your stress by finding what works best for you. Let us know your favorite ways to de-stress.


© 2009 by Leona G. Shankle

7 comments:

  1. What a great list for de-stressing, especially exercise. (Okay, especially chocolate, but exercise is probably a better one.) I personally find prayer and meditation in the morning before I start my day to be invaluable in stress control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good ideas, I find writing relieves my stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a really wonderful post. I used to do a yoga DVD at night...then my hubby decided to join me and I couldn't stop laughing at him trying the poses. It kinda ruined the 'relaxation' part of it for me....I'm giggling just remembering it....hehehhehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite way to de-stress is to go camping and just get away from it all. And if I can't do that, I roast marshmallows on the grill and play in the yard with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned just about all the ways I relieve stress and as a matter of fact, I just finished dancing! My favorite form of exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. I need to prioritize me and get de-stressed with things I can't control!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, too! Chocolate jumped right out at me. However, exercise would probably be the best thing. Perhaps I'll try a hobby next. My son gave me an easel and canvas for my birthday. It's a start.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!