Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

Saturday morning I woke up before sunrise for the first time in a long while, on purpose. My sister-in-law and I were taking a day trip to East Texas to visit our moms. My mother-in-law knew we were coming, I planned to surprise my mom. It worked.

Mom and I spent a lovely Saturday afternoon chatting and enjoying each other's company. She was her normal, "eat, eat, eat," self. I wasn't very hungry but I ate some of her gumbo and blackberry cobbler to satisfy her desire to feed me. She does that with everyone.

Sunday I chose to dine in the comfort of home, eat home cooked goodies, and enjoy family - - as loud and as boisterous as we wanted to be without infringing on others. I cooked smoked turkey-seasoned blackeyed peas, herb-seasoned rice, candied yams, mixed mustard & collard greens, cornbread & hot buttered rolls and, iced tea. I sent out for my all-time favorite, fried chicken. Um-umm...delicious!

Shortly, baby son Mike, came in with several bags, one contained a sinfully yummy looking triple chocolate cake, chocolate on chocolate with chocolate in the middle. He uttered with a big grin, "Man, something smells good up in here", headed straight for the kitchen and, dug right into the hot pots and pans as soon as his hands were empty and washed.

Mike had finished his second plate when Jordyn returned from church with an ice cream cake and a bucket of the new grilled chicken from the colonel's place. She quickly changed into something more comfortable and made herself a plate. We spent the rest of the afternoon joking, laughing, eating, and half watching a movie.

Mike visited a while then left for home to prepare for work tomorrow. I made sure he took enough food for a couple of days so he won't have to cook or eat sandwiches when he gets in from work. Jordyn and I watched another movie and talked about the movie she wrote and is preparing to produce and co-star in soon.

And, a Happy Mother's Day was had by all.
© 2009 by Leona G. Shankle

6 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Mother's Day, Leona! Just reading your post made me drool and I'm still full from my dinner. Wow! Isn't it the most wonderful thing to have your kids want to come home and spend happy time with you? So your mom fed you and then you fed your kids.
    :-) I do the same thing. I can feel your happiness in your writing and I'm smiling with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, what a feast! Isn't that the way of the universe? The mom always feeds the kids. Great day! Though you made me hungry, gotta head to the fridg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Sounds like a really fantastic day. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a wonderful time with no generation gaps. and lots of yummy favorite food. how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh....you have me hungry! Gotta have an almost midnight snack. Sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!