Saturday, September 3, 2016

It was the 3rd of September

Photo © by dellgirl

It was the 3rd of September. That day I'll always remember because that was the day that my daddy died, so well said by the "Temptations". Daddy died 28 years ago on this day, September 3, 1988. I felt as if my heart had been ripped from my body when I received the gut-wrenching news.

The pain and overwhelming sadness of that day are a distant memory now. It's strange, but Daddy is so ingrained in my heart and my soul today that I don't miss him. He is such a part of me that I don't often get that lonely feeling of missing him and wishing he were here. He is always with me, ALWAYS! Precious memories of Daddy are forever etched in my existence.

My brother sent me a text early this morning to remind me that today is the anniversary of Daddy's passing. I messaged him back, yes I remember. I will never forget that day. We message each other back-and-forth 2 or 3 times. Then, I just had to pick up the phone and call him.

We talked about Daddy for almost 20 minutes. That's the longest we've had a chance to talk to each other in a good while. We had a fun time on the phone reminiscing about our memories of Daddy. The list of precious memories is so long, we didn’t even put a dent in the list. Finally, we called a halt to our conversation and said our goodbyes.

Our final words to each other were that we were going to find and play some favorite music of ours and Daddy’s that conjures up loving memories of Daddy.

And, now to wrap up this post of random thoughts on this, the anniversary of my daddy’s passing.

I love you Daddy. I hope you notice that I strive daily to continue the Legacy you left me with.

RIP Mr. H. M. Wilkins: July 25, 1918 – September 3, 1988.

Daddy’s Legacy

Your legacy is simply;
It is awesome
with its power,
to live and love
to sing and dance
and to
embrace the hour.


© 2016 by dellgirl

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute to your loving daddy, Leona. I was very touched reading it. I lost my dad 18 years ago, but like you, he is in my heart forever. Stay blessed my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you AJ for reading here and for leaving the nice comment. I appreciate that a lot. I'm sorry to learn of the loss my dad at such an early age, my prayers are with you. I agree with you, they are in our hearts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a special day to be sure. I lost my daddy June 18, 1945 when I was 5 years old. Sometimes this day falls on father's day then it's especially difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean about the day being especially difficult, Lin. Thank you for coming by and for reading this. I especially appreciate you taking the time to leave the nice comment.

      Delete
  4. Oh Leona, this is so beautiful. It is obvious that he was a very special, loving person who left two beautiful people as his legacy. It's wonderful that you have a brother to share his memory with. I'm very thankful for my brother as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking time to come by, Kay. I was not expecting you with all that you are working on. I really appreciate your visit and the lovely comment. I have three brothers. Two live out of state (I never mention them, do I?). One lives here in Houston. I am so blessed and thankful to have him close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the most beautiful blog posts that I have ever read. I feel so lucky that I came by and met your family today. My Dad passed around 6 years ago and I still have those times of feeling funny in my gut and missing him so much. Thank you for telling me that the pain will subside, but the feeling of him being with me will only grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. Certain days are ingrained in my head and I remember others deeply and fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, Cloudia. It's so good to see your smiling face here. Thank you for coming by and for reading. I especially appreciate the nice comment, glad to know you found this comforting. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is nice to have those days that we remember fondly, isn't it Medeia? I too like it when I have those days/times. Thanks bunches for coming by, I know how busy you are. I appreciate the nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for writing this tribute. I still have my father with me, yet you give me hope that I'll be okay when I have to walk in the garden of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was such a beautiful tribute to your Father!! Thank you so much for sharing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh LaVender, thank you so much. You don't know how much your words mean to me. I so admire and respect your work, this is inspiring to hear. Thank you for reading here and especially for the touching comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there Admin...LOL. It's so good to see your smiling face. I was not expecting you since I know how very busy you are. Thanks so much for taking the time to come by to read. I really appreciate the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is beautiful and it reminds me of how my brothers and I were and are when it is our Daddy's anniversary. It was one of life's most agonizingly hurtful days to have lost him as I know it was for you and your family as well. Our tribute to our Daddy's is our love which we gave and give as freely as we received. XXXOOI

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a touching comment, Katie. I love your tribute to your Daddy. Freely giving and receiving love is one of life's most precious gifts. Thank you for taking time to stop by. I appreciate your visit and the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!