Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Up for Some Crazy English?


Do you think English is easy? If you love the English language, you might enjoy this. There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is 'UP’. 

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report ?

We call UP our friends.

And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen.

We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.

At other times the little word has real special meaning.

People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.  

A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

Okay, time’s up. That’s all the nonsense I can think up for now. Maybe I’ll dream up some more silly stuff another time.  If I forget, you can bring it up to me in a comment. I’ll try to up the ante on the next go ‘round.


Are you up for more or should I give up and call it a wrap on UP? 


FREE - 2015 Consumer Action Handbook


Free Books


Search by title author:


3 comments:

  1. Blessings....
    Well this was UP lifting
    I am all caught UP on the UPs!

    Have a blessed week.
    Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true with all the different meanings. I actually cross this word out when editing if it's unnecessary. I don't want too many ups in my manuscript.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!