Thursday, August 16, 2018

Music: My Muse



Have you ever had a song or a tune stuck in your head that won’t go away? I woke up this morning to the sad news that Aretha Franklin had passed earlier.

From that moment on Aretha’s songs and music were stuck in my head and they wouldn’t go away. Every step I took, every move I made, Aretha’s music was there. “Respect” skipped merrily through parks and playgrounds of my cluttered brain. “I Say A Little Prayer” danced happily on top of my overcrowded to-do-lists… in my head.

Most of the time, I can only stop the music stuck in my head by playing the tune over and over until I’ve overdosed on it. Today CNN performed the repetition so I didn’t need to go digging for my music.

Do you know Aretha Franklin? Do you like her music? I do. I love, love, love me some Aretha Franklin music.

What I love most is Aretha’s rendition of a song. It mesmerizes me. It holds me captive, unable to break away. The melodious rise and fall of her voice is spellbinding! Her clear throaty sound reaches way deep down inside my soul. I’m a willing prisoner to the heavenly sound of her words and music.

"Yea, oh yea - only Aretha . . ."

The journey she takes with her voice from low to high octave ending with that final burst of sweet-sounding deliciousness ... brings shivers of utter and complete joy to these untrained but adoring ears of mine.

Her voice, her words, her delivery, and her music are a recipe for sensual musical bliss. The melody and timing has my body moving along to the beat rhythmically. I’m swaying back and forth and side to side. I’m totally hooked!

I close my eyes and my mind wanders back-in-the-day. I’m immediately transported to a time and place when all was right with the world.

From song to song, beginning to end, is a soul soothing lullaby. It’s a perfect combination of vocal excellence and music long forgotten. It’s Classic!

What else can I say?

Aretha Franklin’s music is pure raw sensuous ecstasy.


7 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed Aretha Franklin's music. You're right, she is... was a classic. She lives on through the music she shared with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Petula, I enjoyed Aretha's music from the first time I heard her in the wee-hours of the morning on the radio. And, I've loved it since that time. Her passing makes me wish I could pull out Mama's old-school record player and play some of my cherished vinyl records.

      Delete
  2. May her soul rest in peace.
    She had a tumultuous life and triumph.
    Peace be with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by to read, and for leaving such a nice comment. I really appreciate that. May she rest in Peace!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoo-eee!! This has been quite the day for memorials! I went to a long-time neighbors memorial before interment at a military cemetery in Denver today. Full honors, so I heard gun shot salutes at close range. It'll send shivers up and down your spine. Made ME jump! I wonder what they did for McCain? I'm now working on a bio on Aretha for my rock blog but the day I heard I put up part of the Pavarotti song she sang twice- once at the Grammy's and then later at another awards show. That woman had a voice! She wasn't just the Queen of Soul. It was deeper than that and I love her gospel singing. She had just as much in her voice as Mahalia Jackson- my idol.
    Thanks for putting this up.
    She was an inspiration to us all !
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will always miss her. Her music was a part of my life from my early 20's.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!