Saturday, April 8, 2017

April


Did you know that April starts on the same day of the week as July every year, and the same day of the week as January in leap years? Something else I didn’t know is that April ends on the same day of the week as December every year.

April is National Poetry Month, a celebration of poetry. It was first introduced in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States. April 1st is also April Fool’s Day, and I’m not sure if the Academy of American Poets realized that when they introduced National Poetry Month back in 1996, but it’s the kind of irony that poets would appreciate.

April 1st brings thoughts of spring what with trees and flowers blooming all over and birds chirping and singing outside my bedroom window early every morning. The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. It seems like spring here already in my little corner of the world, Houston, Texas.

It’s not too hot, too cold, too rainy, too sunny, not too dry, or too wet it’s just perfect – for me anyway. So I call it springtime, whether it’s officially spring or not.
One thing’s for sure, I’d better enjoy these perfectly beautiful days while they last because it’ll be over before we know it. Actually here in Houston, tomorrow it just might be freezing cold and I'll need to turn the heaters on. That's how it goes around here.

Oh, just a few more April tidbits FYI.

April 16th is Easter Sunday.
April 18th is TAX Day. Now, why is that? Could it be because April 15th falls on a Saturday this year and Saturday is not a Business Day?
April 22nd is Earth Day.

There you have it, my rambling thoughts on April and Spring time.

What is the weather like in your part of the country? Where are you? Some people are still having snow. Is that you? Do you like it? Or are you getting a touch of spring?

12 comments:

  1. Hard to believe easter is almost here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, Adam. It is hard to believe, and I constantly wonder where did the time go...it has passed sooo fast (in a way). I guess summer will be here before we know it. Thank you for coming by to read and, especially for the comment.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, spring is definitely here with temps in 70-80s and everything in bloom...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your visiting my post and taking time to read and comment on it. Thank you! I hope you're having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of interesting tidbits Leona. This year is just flying by, just like the year before and the one before lol ;) at least that's how I feel. I'm north of the border in Ontario, Canada and spring has definitely sprung here.

    We've had a beautiful weekend and surprisingly double digit temps already. We do Celsius in Canada as opposed to Fahrenheit. I do love summer, but have to admit that I do prefer the cooler temps rather than the dog days of summer. Have a blessed Easter weekend Leona!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love April too but around here it usually is too much rain. We seem to have too much rain for 4 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey AJ, glad you could make it by to read my ramblings. I prefer the spring and autumn seasons, simply LOVE the cooler temperatures. Like you, I'm not fond of the dog days of summer at all. Thank you for reading and for the great comment.

    Wishing you a blessed Easter weekend also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there to ya' Katie, and to you too Mommy. I agree with you, too much rain does not make for a happy camper. Too much rain for 4 years would make for a REALLY unhappy camper. I hope you have a rain-less Easter this year.

    Happy you stopped in to read Katie (and Mommy). Thank you for the nice comment. I appreciate that a lot. Wishing you a wonderful Easter Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blessings
    You I didn't know that about April and July.
    Poetry month? Never knew.
    Many lessons here
    Thanks for the enlightenment

    Enjoy the rest of your week

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're welcome Rhapsody. Thank you for taking time to come by to read, and especially thanks for the nice comment. I didn't know many of these tidbits myself until I researched it, very enlightening. There are more, but I decided to stop at these few.

    I wish you a blessed rest-of-the-week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love April, but I loved it more when we lived in Illinois. I mentioned to my daughter that spring is my favorite season, but she said, "You have to live through the winter to truly, truly appreciate the wonders of spring."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah. April is a busy month and I've been run off my feet doing yard stuff. By the way, April is also Jazz Appreciation month. I love that. I'm looking forward to getting back to my writing this WE. I need to.
    Winter here in Denver was dry as a bone and we have only just started to get some rainy days for April. It's helping my work, though. This month really is going by too fast.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you came by. PLEASE, let me know you were here and leave a comment.

Have a wonderful wonderful day!